Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Engelheim Vineyards - Ellijay, GA




The North Georgia winery is located at 127 Lakeview Rd., Ellijay, GA 30540, in the beautiful Appalachian Mountains. The wide open tasting room with it's vaulted ceilings and large stone fireplace is beautifully decorated and offers a comfortable setting for relaxing and sipping some vino.





The tasting room is open seven days a week from 12:30 to 6 pm. Each tasting includes the selection of five wines for $10, and the five tastes add up to one glass of wine.






I like sweet wines and chose their four sweet muscadine wines shown below; Sunrise, Sunset, Midnight and Ole Blue. For my final selection I went with their 2015 Sweet Molly, an award-winning sweet white featuring Traminette grapes.










My favorite wine from the tasting was 'Sunrise' the first on the list. It's referred to as Georgia in a bottle because of the sweet peach taste. I had to snag a $20 bottle for home because I thought that was a fair price to pay considering I can't quite get that sweet Georgia peach taste off my mind.





There are no seats at the tasting room bar, but it's very easy to get comfortable in one of the large leather chairs across from the bar and I almost had to light a match under my husband to get him up after he found himself very relaxed on the deep couch.









At the back of the tasting room is a great spot with two large windows overlooking the vineyard, the perfect place to grab a seat and enjoy a nice bottle of wine.






There is also a screened in patio where you can relax with a glass of wine and take in the scenery.







In addition to daily tastings, Engelheim Vineyards offers 45 minute vineyard and winery tours with the owner Gary Engel by appointment only. We were bummed that we weren't able to book a tour because we had a spotty cell phone signal in the area. But on our way out I took a quick peak at the lovely grape vines.






Engelheim means Angel Home in German and the Engel family celebrates their German heritage with the vineyard name and throughout the winery. I'm looking forward to enjoying my Georgia peach wine at home, and I'm forever grateful to have had my first introduction to the Georgia wine country at the Engelheim Vinyards.

No comments:

Post a Comment