Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Visiting the Hotel Del Coronado




We had a mishap at the hotel we booked for our last night in San Diego, but it turned out to be a good thing. We found ourselves being upgraded in a major way. We were booked down the road at the Hotel Del Coronado. Little did I know this would be one of the highlights of our entire California trip. The beautiful Victorian beachfront resort was way more than we were expecting. When we pulled up I was blown away, and found myself feeling quite thankful for the mix up at the other hotel.




I had never heard of the Del, so I did some quick research and found out it was built in 1888. At almost 130 years old, it's hosted Presidents, royalty and celebrities. In 1958, a substantial part of the movie, "Some Like It Hot" starring Marilyn Monroe, was filmed there and in 1977, it was designated a National Historic Landmark.

Accommodations:








After learning all these interesting facts about the resort, I was too excited to sleep. I was ready to hit the beach! The next morning the sun was shining brightly while we threw on our clothes,  and headed down to the beach. We had about 3 hours before we had to leave for our flight, and I wanted to make the very most of our time. When we walked out of the hotel, we were amazed at how beautiful the beach was. The sand was incredibly soft and warm, prompting the kids to jump up-and-down as they ran towards the water. It was absolutely stunning. I was snapping pictures so fast I felt like a photographer. I wanted to capture every moment but of course I had to put the camera down and just enjoy being in the moment, watching my babies play in the ocean.


Sand Castles:







 Beach:







We grabbed a quick breakfast of fruit, cinnamon buns and a hot pretzels at the B&S Bakery. It's definitely not a ball-on-a-budget type of place because our little continental breakfast was $24.85, but I was fine with what the kids picked. We enjoyed our quick meal while watching the waves, and everybody played as we ate on the lawn.






The best part is that at check-out we had a zero balance, how cool is that? We were there over Memorial Day weekend and rooms were starting at $600 per night. So, that was quite a savings and we enjoyed every minute of this unforeseen surprise.

Play:






Our morning at the Del turned out to be the best morning of the entire trip and I couldn't have asked for anything more. Just goes to show, sometimes mistakes can turn out to be a welcome blessing! I was truly thankful for the opportunity to stay at this beautiful beach resort with my family.



1 comment: